Friday, February 16, 2007

Peanut Butter & Salmonella

I'm hoping that no one eats this particular type of peanut butter that is full of sugar & partially hydrogentated oils. Just another reason to jump on the health train, in my humble opinion. The following announcement is from the ConAgra website:

OMAHA, Neb.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 14, 2007--ConAgra Foods today announced that it has taken the precautionary measure of voluntarily recalling all varieties of Peter Pan Peanut Butter and Great Value Peanut Butter beginning with product code 2111 imprinted on the lid of both brands. ConAgra Foods is working with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to investigate a statistical report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that these products may be linked to the foodborne illness salmonella.

2 comments:

Jade said...

I was going to say the same, but didn't want to incite the vengeful food gods (considering that e-coli outbreak was in organic spinach). I'm with you though.

Jade said...

Hi! I wanted to get back to you, but I try not to disclose my personal e-mail address. I have a feeling you understand, since you haven't posted very much personal information here either. I hope you don't take it personally, because it was a hard decision to make, and my gut instinct was to just go ahead and e-mail you.

You are right about vitamin D and sunlight. Those living in northern latitudes can easily not get enough sunlight in the winter months for optimal vitamin D synthesis. Cod liver oil is a good source of vitamin D and also omega 3 in winter months.

For your privacy, I went ahead and deleted your comment. Again, don't take it personally. :) As blog administrator, I'll let you decide what to do with this comment.