Saturday, June 30, 2007

Taffy Apple Salad

It was a huge summer family reunion camped in the lower mountains of Northern Washington state. The last night was spent with much food, fun, & laughter around the campfire, until the wee hours of the morning. Grampa had had a few too many beers & spent the night especially enjoying one particular dish, the taffy apple salad. The next afternoon, when Grampa finally rolled out, he unknowingly re-named this family recipe & the new name has stuck ever since..... "Where's the apple crap??", was all he could grumble.

Although this is not one of my family stories, nor recipes, after much begging & pleading, and I finally was graced with this recipe, I had to agree only to pass it on, if I always told the story with it. After keeping this recipe to myself (except maybe to my Auntie) for a few years now, I pass the story & the recipe in all its summer perfect sweetness. This recipe is oh so worth that promise, and oh so worth the time.

Just think "candied apples in a bowl of sugary sweet ambrosia salad". Oh my sweet tooth!!


Taffy Apple Salad or "Apple Crap"
1 small can pineapple tidbits
2c mini marshmallows
1c sugar
1 beaten egg
1 TBSP cornstarch
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
5 large Granny Smith apples
1 (8oz) container Cool Whip
1c dry roasted unsalted peanuts

Night before dish is served, drain pineapple tidbits, reserving juices. Mix mini marshmallows & tidbits in an airtight container & refrigerate.
Mix pineapple juice with sugar, egg, cornstarch & cider vinegar. Cook over medium-low heat until thick; stirring well. It will reduce slightly. Let cool overnight in refrigerator.
Day of serving: Peel & chop 5 large Granny Smith apples. Add pineapple tidbits, marshmallows & thickened juice. Add Cool Whip & peanuts. Stir gently to mix well. Serve chilled.

(I'd post a picture of this recipe, but I can't ever snap one quick enough before its starts dissappearing!)

2 comments:

Not So Anonymous Michelle said...

I love "apple crap"...sounds like something my family would say!

We have a similar recipe in our family but there are cut up snickers minis in it and I'm not sure if there are other differences...

Jade said...

I loved the story.

I think I remember having this once as a kid and not being able to quite get enough of it. :)