Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Baba Ganouj-Stuffed Olives

From the best dinner party appetizers to the greatest way to get your kids to eat eggplant, this is a great recipe!

Ingredients
1 large eggplant
1 TBSP grapeseed oil (or light olive oil)
2 minced garlic cloves
1/8 c tahini
1/3 c cooked & drained chickpeas
juice of 1/2 - 1 lemon, or to taste
2 c jumbo black olives (or olives of choice)

Method
Preheat the oven to 475F. Arrange whole eggplant on foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until eggplant collapses, turning once. Remove & let cool. remove stems & remove the peel.
Heat oil in a skillet. Add garlic & saute over low heat until golden (approx 2 minutes).
Combine eggplant pulp, tahini, chickpeas, lemon juice, & garlic in a food processor & process until smooth, or until desired consistency. Store in an airtight container & chill for 1-2 hours.
Stuff olives & serve chilled.

2 comments:

Jade said...

I love Baba Ganouj. I recently made some to bring to a friend's dinner party and served it with veggies (including olives). I usually just serve it with pita bread triangles, but some of the guests couldn't eat bread. I have to admit that now I prefer Baba Ganouj with veggies. This is a smart way to incorporate the two.

O Mama Mia said...

For (grown-up's)appetizers, I love using Greek olives to stuff, but to please my wee one, I use the blakc olives. ;)
I love pita crisps too! I toast them with some fresh garlic on them!!