Thursday, January 11, 2007

What Its All About

Many moons ago, if you said "vegetarian" I would think "veggie pasta" dish. Over the years, I've come to know that just because its labeled "vegetarian" its not necessarily healthy. Many times just to stay away from meats, we turn to what we simply know is not a meat; we turn to grains. We are easily misled in believing that it is "good for us" because its "vegetarian".

After the birth of my daughter & finding that she was allergic to certain foods that she was getting via my breastmilk, I had to do a radical food re-do. Although I felt I was eating "healthy" I was not being true to myself & educating myself. My daughter was my inspiration. I refused to give up my cherished moments of nursing her so I could keep eating what I wished, or use the excuse that I didn't have the time to educate myself. I realized by watching her tiny body react to what I had eaten, just how unhealthy I had been. Some people say change is not possible overnight & I dare to challenge that. Now I feel so great about what goes in our bodies & the living proof is in my daughter's health & growth, and our family happiness.

Living healthy is so much more, too. For me, its the true delight in eating as fresh as possible. I could never hop on a "no carb" bandwagon. I LOVE my carbs! I love my vegetable carbs. If I do grains, it will be the whole wheat grains. This is so much more than eats. It is a way of life; a mindset. Its caring about our environment, our earth, & our quality of life. Its eating to live & knowing that what I put in my body is just as important as what I sweat out.

I do this for me. I do this for my love. For my daughter. For my life, that I may make it last longer & so that I may be more fruitful. No pun intended. ;)

No comments: